Friday, September 16, 2011

on the lookout & notable releases

it's been a while since i've done a post just about music so here's a long overdue update on stuff i've discovered.

i'm going to point out three singles that are currently making their way through the interwebz for albums that have yet to be released and there was a lot of really good albums released this week so i'll point those out.  hopefully give a few of you something new to listen to while drinking your morning coffee (if you don't drink coffee, no worries, you can still listen to them).

Artist: Jamie N Commons
Song: The Preacher
Album Release: No Idea
For Fans of: Murder By Death; ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead


The Preacher by Jamie N Commons

Did you just listen to that? Jesus man, how does a British dude channel country better than 99% of the country bands in States? Such passion, such an awesome voice so many layers. And if you've ever wondered why I'm just now getting around to releasing my acoustic stuff, it's because of songs like this...I hear songs like this and realize I need to go back to the drawing board...too good. If the album is half as good as this song, it'll be in my top 10 of all time.

Artist:  Of Monsters and Men
Song: From Finner
Album Release: 9/20/2011 ~ My Head is An Animal
For Fans of: Mumford & Sons; Young the Giant; Edward Sharpe; Florence + The Machine


The harmonies this group pulls off are impressive and it's such a feel good song. Plus, hand claps and tons of instruments/layers will normally win me over. Listen to this and try not to tap your foot along to the bass drum...yea, you can't. 

Artist:  Trash Talk
Song: Awake
Album Release: 10/11/2011 ~ Awake
For Fans of: Ceremony; Trapped Under Ice; Municipal Waste; This is Hell


So this may very well be the greatest minute and a half song I've ever heard.  Not sure if it's the entire song or just a long glimpse to get people pumped about the EP but either way it worked. I never listened to Trash Talk before this but I've found myself going back through some of their old stuff because of how much I liked this song.  The song makes me want to punch something though (which I think is the point) so I have to keep my listens throttled a bit. And how awesome is that intro?

Ok, so there ya go, three singles for albums not yet released, i'm sure i'll buy all of these at some point so they're make their way back through, but check em out for yourself. 

Also, notable releases for this week are:

Kevin Devine: Between the Concrete and the Clouds
Blind Pilot: We Are the Tide
Polar Bear Club: Clash Battle Guilt Pride
Saves the Day: Daybreak

I bought all of those this week, they're all worth it. If you have Spotify, just listen to the albums on there a couple of times and see if you like them.  If you don't have Spotify, I believe the site allows you to request an invite and if that doesn't work, I may be able to get you an invite. 

X


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites